Monday, November 24, 2014

You know it's all about the place..

I have touched on the fact that we had some challenges with Hazel initially in regards to appropriate inside behavior. One of our issues was that at times, she would get overly stimulated and had the doggie crazies x 1,000. It was beyond the typical "doggy zoomies" and was actually dangerous behavior around my daughter. It became dangerous instead of "fun" because she was completely out of control and didn't care what was in her pathway. She could potentially hurt herself by running into tables (with sharp corners), or one of us by taking us out! It's completely fine and normal to be crazy silly, but this was too much. Hazel needed an "off" switch. I needed to train her to respond in a way that unwanted behavior stopped immediately, no matter how amped up she was. I decided to teach "place"..a very common command, nothing earth shattering, but it literally changed our lives!
It was apparent that Hazel had endured some harsh training methods in the past, because as soon as I started working with her, she shut down. Her body language was fearful and she pancaked to the ground. It broke my heart! This is when I decided to introduce the clicker to her. Some dogs can be afraid of the loud noise a clicker makes, so to introduce it, I put the clicker behind my back so muffle the sound a little, and then clicked. I treated her immediately so that she would associate the sound of the clicker with something positive. After some success with that, training began. This video was the 3rd time I had her "place". She couldn't please me fast enough! I loved it! Clicker training made her come to life..her eyes danced and she was eager to learn. This is also helpful if you have an enthusiastic greeter with people coming to the door. :)

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that is beyond cute and very obedient! It pays to make training fun! Hazel reminds me a lot of Kaya. I taught her a "go lie down" command that is not a specific as place but means go find some place to settle down. It's been very useful! I did clicker training with her too but mostly just for tricks:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I loved doing trick training with my last girl. she was sooo smart! Hazel has a little more work to do. ;) You inspired me before when I read about your experience when you adopted Kaya. I've had some "what did I get myself into" moments that have completely taken me off guard and had a lot of guilt feeling that way! I guess that's why I want to me completely honest about everything..the lows and highs, because adopting a dog is so completely fulfilling, but it's not always easy!!

      Delete
    2. I'm so glad we inspired you! That inspires me to keep going with the blog, even though I don't have the time that I used to:)

      I for sure had a lot of "what did I get myself into" moments with Kaya! I wish I was into blogging when she was younger, I know it would have helped a ton:)

      Delete
  2. Awesome!! "Down-stay" definitely changed our lives when we had i'm-not-sure-we-can-keep-this-dog moments with Edison. This has morphed into "park it" at home on various rugs and beds. Although, Hazel is so much quicker in her response! Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete