Thursday, November 13, 2014

Times are changin'

People often ask me why I chose to adopt a pit bull type dog, (and by people, I mean mostly family members and acquaintances.) My inner circle, many of whom are also heavily involved in rescue, get it. We are truly so tired of seeing this breed vilified, and even more tired of the damaging stereo types that can't be more untrue. I made the conscious choice to seek out a pittie when looking to add to our family. I wanted to be an ambassador to the breed and provide an amazing home. I live in a county with the 2nd highest "kill rate" in the nation, second only to California. Pit bulls rank the highest to be euthanized, followed in 2nd place by Chihuahuas who are really over bred here. There are a few rescues who focus on the bully breeds and do an amazing job. But the truth of the matter is, these dogs, no matter how great they are, still take a long time to get adopted. Families are not lining up to adopt a pit bull.

Hazel waited nearly a full year before she came to us. I think we all can agree that this is far too long for a dog to wait. I thought that if I did my small part in showing what amazing companions these dogs can be, maybe, just maybe, I may change a few minds about the breed. I hear stories from other pit parents about backlash they receive from others and some really negative experiences. I braced myself for the same thing and hoped that I could handle it. Knock on wood, I have not had a single "bad" experience. I am out with Hazel 7 days a week, often 2 times a day running in our neighborhood, hiking our mountain trails, walking through our parks, shopping in pet stores, and you know what? I have not heard a single negative comment. In fact, I have had nothing but positivity! The most recent being last week. I was at a very busy park where there are many fields being utilized for various sport practices/games. Hazel and I had arrived much earlier and had met up with a few dogs that she has played with before. After their play session we took a little walk before leaving. People were everywhere, and lots of families with kids. I looked up to see a family with two small children approaching us. I swear, this little boy, who must have been barely three years old, asked me in his little voice, "is that a pit bewl?" I smiled and said yes, and while looking at dad for permission, asked if he would like to pet her. I put Hazel in a sit and the little boy came over to say hi. He was followed by his 5 yr old sister who praised Hazel up and down. I didn't have parents tearing their children away from the vicious "pit bull". It was awesome. We continued on only to hear from another mom, "hey! nice pit! she's beautiful!" It made my heart sing. This is what I was hoping for. When I have my 6 year old daughter with me, it gives even more credibility. It "softens" our appearance to other parents, and it's no accident on my part, we get out a lot. I want people to see the loving relationship between my daughter and Hazel, and look at the breed as a family dog..as they should be.

5 comments:

  1. I totally agree on your outlook. I've learned that it doesn't really work to get into arguments with people, either in real life or online. Like you did, the best move is to adopt a pittie of your own and show them in the best light possible. I have many family members who live on the East coast who buy into the hysteria but I've been ticking them off one by one as they visit, converting them to pittie lovers!

    I've been the recipient of a few mean comments but overall I feel lucky to live in an open-minded area chock full of spoiled & well-loved pit bulls:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m really interested to see what will happen w/my family. I keep going back and forth about whether I should take her up for Thanksgiving, because she is not at her best yet. (I can picture food stealing and jumping inappropriately, or the enthusiastic “head butt”!) I am so afraid of showing her in a negative light and don’t want to turn people off because I do have naysayers in my family, not only about the breed, but just rescue dogs in general. Ugh! She’s not always like that though.. I hate to leave her behind and can always crate her while a lot of people are over but have not decided.

      Delete
    2. Ya, that's tough call. I totally have the same consideration with Kaya because she is hyper & pushy. Too bad people can't see that she is a young dog that is learning!

      Delete
  2. When Tess & I lived downtown, we would have tons of people cross the street while out walking and people I knew would warn me to watch out "because she'll snap one day." Since moving into our new neighborhood, we've not heard anything about our dogs (doesn't mean they aren't still thinking it! LOL). I used to be worried about taking Edison out because he's a maniac and definitely NOT a breed ambassador. i would worry that I was perpetuating a stereotype. But what I've decided is that we need to stop judging by breed -- no matter what that judgment is (all labs are friendly!) -- and start looking at dogs individually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. agreed! I had my first "negative" experience a few weeks ago. It wasn't "terrible" but I had an older gentleman approach me and told me my dog made him nervous because his dog was attacked by two pit bulls recently. I told him I was very sorry that happened, and assured him my dog was under control and very friendly with dogs of all sizes. (She's even trusted around my good friend's seeing eye dog). I told him the same thing about stereo types..my last girl who was a lab, was dog aggressive and didn't like children.

      Delete