Thursday, January 22, 2015

Throwback Thursday

This picture is not a "happy" throwback photo. This is Hazel on "death row", aka Animal Care and Control. Our county boasts the second highest KILL rate in the nation with California being #1, and this is where she came from before being rescued. Pit bull type dogs have the very highest euthanasia rate, (with Chihuahuas being #2, at least here in Arizona), so the fact that she made it out alive means she beat the statistics stacked against her. For that, I am ever so thankful.


She went into foster care and started to blossom, then...

BAM, there's my smiling girl.

Happy Friday eve! I am *praying* that Hazel is feeling well enough to have some fun this weekend. She has been extra spunky at home and had the doggy crazies last night, so am taking that as a sign that she may be ready! We'll definitely avoid the mountains for awhile. :(

4 comments:

  1. what a sweet face!! And love that last photo of her! Hope you can have some adventures this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great before and after photos! I wish I took a couple photos of Kaya in her pen at the shelter for memory's sake. Though I don't remember her looking too bummed. She had a bed full of toys & her sister with her:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha, that's awesome! Our "shelters" are hell holes. Cold concrete, small, filthy..so sad. I think her expression is strange..it's just blank to me. I talked with the person who took her out of the "shelter" that day and she told me she was completely crazy as soon as she got out- running in circles and happy as can be. Now that I believe! ;)

      Delete
    2. Awe, too bad you don't have a video of that!

      Kaya came from the San Francisco shelter which is pretty nice but there are some real shitty ones around here too.

      My brother's pittie (the white one in my recent Instagram pictures) was in one of our crappy shelters. I actually adopted her for him after they did not approve of his housing situation & turned him down. When I went to adopt her, she was curled up in a little ball on the cold floor while all the dogs around her were barking and lunging as I walked by. Then she acted real crazy & happy like Hazel did when they brought her out. Such a great feeling to get her out of there!

      Delete