Tuesday, January 27, 2015

On the road again..

Finally! Hazel's feet have healed up pretty well and we were able to get out for a run. We're staying away from rocky areas for another week, so Sunday we set out on a soft dirt trail. (which is actually an abandoned old dirt road once used by farmers).

It was a beautiful day, though a little warm since we didn't start running until late morning. Hazel got to spend a lot of time off leash which was awesome.


We actually had to take a quick shade break!

Can you put your phone down and just RUN?!
And here is Hazel with her sister playing in the park.
I am afraid to speak too soon, but knock on wood, Hazel has improved so much when it comes to being too rough with D. She hasn't head butted/air snapped/pounced on/arm grabbed (you get the picture), in a looong time. Dare I say, I think she has learned how to appropriately live with a child! ;)


Meez tries mama, meez tries
It just goes to show how much patience can sometimes be required when adding to the family. I see a lot of people give up and return their dogs when things aren't "perfect" immediately. I never expected perfection, but did want to make sure I could keep D safe while not stifling Hazel's spirit.
I think we have found a great balance. BOTH girls needed to be taught boundaries. D just turned 7 and I still have to remind her not to send mixed signals to Hazel.

For example, just the other night she was playing with her inflatable ride on "pink puppy"..a toy Hazel would love to sink her teeth into. I let Hazel know that she couldn't put her teeth on it, and put Hazel in "place" to allow D to bounce around freely. Hazel was behaving herself perfectly when D took "pink puppy" up to Hazel and "talked to her" via the puppy. I told D that she was not setting Hazel up for success by "taunting" her when Hazel was trying really hard to behave.

I cannot stress how important it is for our family to work together, and all be on the same page.
I am thrilled with the progress we've had.

2 comments:

  1. Great examples of how to set Hazel up for success with your daughter! I'm glad she is feeling better too:)

    ReplyDelete