Tuesday, May 12, 2015

My baby is sick and I am losing it

My baby is sick. Really sick. I am at work which is the last place I want to be right now, but I had to come in due to being short staffed. I am feeling helpless, so I write.

Hazel is not home alone..daddy is home taking are of her while I wipe my tears.

Our girl started showing signs of not quite being herself Sunday morning. When I took a Mother's Day photo, I noticed that her eyes were not sparkling, and she was just not herself. She had become less and less tolerant of our new foster, so I initially chalked it up to her being annoyed and pouty.

As the morning grew on, I knew something was wrong. She felt really warm to me so we took her temperature and sure enough, she was running a fever of 104. I know they say not to really worry until it's 105-105.5 is what I was told. (You don't want to wait until 106 because then we're talking potential organ failure.) We kept her comfortable and made sure she ate/drank. Monday morning she was the same so I got her into the vet. I was inititally relieved because once the vet took some history, knowing we just got a new foster at exactly one week from yesterday, she assumed Hazel must have picked something up from her. She said that she could be a carrier of something without showing symptoms herself. She gave an anti biotic just in case and told us to call if her temp got up to 105.5

Last night was scary. I looked into Hazel's eyes and they looked sunken and just glazed over. I took her temp and it was 104.8..getting close. I am not an overly religious person, but I put my hands on her and prayed and prayed. I was asking favors from everyone I knew in heaven, including my dad, to please help my girl.


Eventually she jumped on the bed which I took as a good sign. She asked to get under the covers to which I obliged. This morning I fed her breakfast in bed and she ate and drank. I thought she looked better. I gave her a big kiss and left for work. Hubby just called and her temp is now 105.2. :(
We are both hoping it's because she was under the covers. Hazel is now on the couch and we are cooling her down some. Hubby will take her temp in another hour, if it's still high, we need to take her in again.

Hazel on her way back from the vet. She did not want to get out of the car.
I am someone that needs answers and wants to get to the bottom of things. I was floored that they did not even do blood work yesterday. I saw a new vet in the office and while others might appreciate a "wait and see" approach and not having unnecessary tests taken, I am kicking myself for not insisting. The vet is now off today and was going to call me tomorrow to check in. I am just praying that things turn a corner, and SOON. It's heartbreaking to see my strong girl so weak. :(

I have a tendency to worry about the worst case scenario. I was afraid my baby would just stop breathing last night. You know the saying, those you love are who you fear losing most. We had weird medical issues with Hazel when we first got her. Nothing was ever diagnosed despite numerous tests. I am not good with mysteries. We feared that there was some underlying issue that would go undiagnosed until it was too late. Hazel has been incredibly healthy for the past 9 months with not a single issue, so am praying that my baby rallies. Please??

Thank you for putting up with my rambling and scattered thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment