Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Take me to Church

Yesterday I got home around 2:30, loaded up the pup, and headed to the mountain. I was hoping that since it was in the middle of the afternoon, we would have some quiet time on the trails. That might had been had I chosen a different trail, but no luck, it was quite crowded.

I hadn't been on this trail in years and now I remember why! It's very popular with mountain bikers, in fact, I used to ride this trail myself. Mountain bikers and running with a dog do not mix. Even though trail etiquette dictates that bikers yield to those on foot, I feel that it's much easier for me to stop and move over than it is for them, so for too many times to count, Hazel and I were constantly having to stop and "pull over".

We were in a wash off the trails in these pics, hence a quick "no leash" photo op, however I would never, ever run with her on this trail without a leash. Unfortunately I see too many people with their dogs off leash and I can't stand it. Of course I would love the opportunity to do so, but it's just not safe! There are mountain bikers going very fast on these trails, blind corners and hills and other trail users. I have seen a mountain biker crash trying to avoid hitting a dog and it was devastating. It puts the pup in danger, and the cyclists.


Despite the trail being very busy, everyone was very friendly and in wonderful spirits. Friendly hellos were exchanged, many "thank yous" for sharing the trail, and lots of compliments on my girl! I always eat that up. :) I could tell that given the chance, Hazel would LOVE to have me on a bike with her chasing from behind! Now THAT would give her a work out. I swear, I have never seen this girl truly exhausted! It blows my mind how much endurance and energy she has. I can see how she might have gotten into trouble in her last home. I like to think I am more active than the "average" adopter and provide a lot of exercise, playtime, and mental stimulation. I cannot imagine a dog this active not having those outlets, yet I know more than a few people who rarely walk their dogs, let alone fulfill their many needs. It's a huge injustice in my humble opinion.
We full out ran for about an hour and 45minutes and my glutes are screaming! The trail was moderate with only short hills, but our pace was much faster than I would have liked. (and I can thank miss Hazel and her quest to catch mountain bikers for that. ;) ) I was filled with gratitude on this run. At one peaceful point on the trail, I literally started talking to the heavens, "communicating" with all my loved ones who have passed. There is something about this mountain that reaches down to my soul..it truly is "my church".

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful place! I totally get that "take me to church" feeling when we're hiking! Our trails are a lot more tree-filled but really cool too. Luckily Kaya & Norman are really good about getting out of the way for those bikers;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love it but have major nature envy with your stomping grounds! I didn't mean to sound preachy here, I was specifically talking about leash free on this trail which is an incredibly technical single track for the bikers. We love our off leash time at any given opportunity! :)

      Delete