Monday, April 27, 2015

Foster Guilt

Fostering an animal saves lives, no doubt. I often hear people say, "I could never foster, I would just keep them all!" or, "how can you let him go? he loves you!!" My response is, yes, it IS hard to let them go, but it's better than seeing them die, as they would have had a foster home not been available in their time of need.

I have to admit, the latter one has been getting to me lately. The "how can YOU let him go?!" as though I am re-homing a beloved pet. "It's not fair to him, you need to adopt him", another stab to the heart. Here's the thing, fostering is hard enough. Foster parents are in short supply compared to the need. It doesn't help when there are outsiders, well meaning, don't get me wrong, pushing you to adopt your foster and then giving a guilt trip when you explain why you're not adopting. (It's fostering for a reason, right?? If everyone adopted their foster dogs, we would have no fosters!)

It's especially painful when you would love to adopt your foster, when you have fallen madly, deeply in love with him but don't feel you are the right match.

I just ask others to have sensitivity to foster parents. You might see all the cute posts and pictures, but there is much more to consider when making the decision and commitment to add to the family. Trust us. We love our fosters with all of our hearts and want the best for them.

We had a meet and greet for Truman over the weekend, but it wasn't a match. I know his forever family is waiting for him. He's the most precious, loving guy ever. I have never been a small dog person, and especially not a chihuahua person, ha ha, but Truman taught me a lesson. Just as I don't want others to judge my pittie girl, I have been guilty of believing the stereo types that are known to the chihuahua breed. In my defense, I have experienced the "stereo type" many times having done rescue for 15 years, however, Truman breaks all stereotypes.

He's my little man who I love with my whole heart.
Will it be sad to see him go? It will rip my heart out. But, I am also very eager for him to move on to his "happily ever after".

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Those are some insensitive people. I've fostered several cats & a few dogs and I thought the best part was watching them find their own family. Yes, they were cute, funny, loving and all had their strengths & weaknesses but they were not a love match for me and I knew it. Can the people who say those things imagine adopting every dog they meet in the street? Anyways, Truman is a cutie! I can see how there are some pretty cool chihuahuas out there after meeting a few.

    PS: I must admit, there was 1 pittie I was heart broken over letting go. She was incredibly special and very bonded to Kaya & Norman. I would have kept her but my landlord at the time threatened to evict me. But I still smile knowing she has an awesome new owner who loves her to death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ugh..it's got to be SO hard when you really, really want to adopt AND it's a great match!! :(
      We are looking to add to the family when it's the right match for sure, so it makes it harder when you foster, because in my head I'm like, "is this the one? am I making a mistake letting him/her go?!" oy!!
      I know people aren't *trying* to make me feel bad...but...I must admit, I've been guilty of it a little..I never said anything to one of my fave bloggers, but I was hoping beyond hope they would adopt their foster, and they did! But, I do remember seeing comments all.the.time about how she should adopt. I can only imagine how hard that must have been for them!

      Give smooches to the pups, and as always, thanks for stoppin' by! :)

      Delete